Get comfortable because we are about to answer all your FAQs on how to do a ACV rinse on locs!
Have you ever wondered what’s inside your dreadlocks? Of course you have!
There are scores of YouTube videos created by people who simply cut open locs and show on camera what’s inside. Sometimes the locs are squeaky clean and sometimes… Yes. They have dandruff, lint, and dirt. In a word, build up.
The dreaded B-word that no loc wearer wants to hear. But it’s true. It doesn’t matter how clean you are or how thorough your hair hygiene is. This can happen. Because of their nature alone, locs are prone to attract and create build up in the center which is far more difficult to wash away than with regular hair. Apart from that, locs take an extremely long time to dry which, in turn, can lead to mold if they are not dried completely.
So what’s the solution? We always recommend that you do an ACV rinse that will act like a natural deep cleanse of your locs. It will draw out all the dirt and build up, leaving your locs squeaky clean and healthy. Now let’s answer some FAQs!
What Is an ACV Rinse?
Before learning how to do a ACV rinse, you have to find out what it is! ACV is an acronym and stands for apple cider vinegar, a common household acid that you can use to clean your hair deeply. It will remove dirt as well as melt away any greasy buildup you might have in your locs.
Why do an ACV rinse on dreadlocks?
- It will balance your dreadlock pH level – this means both your locs and your scalp. When your pH is at its optimum level (4.5 – 5.5), your scalp will balance the sebum production and your hair will be less oily.
- The vinegar can prevent mildew, mold, and even lice from growing inside your locs. Since it contains acetic acid, it will help killing the parasite and bacteria that lead to mold and mildew.
- The bicarbonate soda will deeply clean your dreads and remove product and sebum residue
- It will tame frizzy hair.
- It will soften your locs.
How Often Should You Do an ACV Rinse On Your Dreadlocks?
On average, do an ACV rinse two or three times per year.
If you work indoors or outside, if you go to the gym frequently or not or if you spend your time in an area prone to dirt, then you might want to do a cleanse more often.
It also depends on what products you use for your locs. If you use butters or wax (even though you really shouldn’t) they will cause build up.
How to Do a ACV Rinse on Locs
- Find an area where you’re comfortable like your couch or bed and pad it with towels.
- Place the inflatable basin on top and fill it with warm water.
- Pour the baking soda inside and mix it up.
- Lay on your back and allow your locs to soak in the baking soda and water for 15-20 minutes. Baking soda is a powerful chemical and you shouldn’t let your hair be in contact with it for too long.
- Squeeze your dreads until they’ve stopped dripping. You should notice that the water is brown with all the dirt that has come out.
- In the shower, rinse with clean water to get all the baking soda out.
- Fill your bottle half with apple cider vinegar and half with water. Shake it well to mix them together.
- Squeeze the contents into your dreads and allow to sit for 3-5 minutes.
- Wash it all out!
And that is how to do a ACV rinse on locs!
What Will You Notice?
The rinsing water colour should turn brown change to dark brown. The ACV rinse is cleaning your locs from the inside and breaking down any greasy build up you might have in there. You will also notice your locs getting softer in the process.
Can You Use regular Vinegar On Your Dreads?
Yes, you can.
Should You Add Essential Oils to Your ACV Rinse?
We would not advise using essential oils to your deep cleansing rinse. The primary purpose of the ACV rinse is to clean to dreadlocks as deeply as possible an to remove everything from styling products to dirt and mold. Adding essential oils would defeat the purpose!
What about you?
Did we answer all your FAQs on how to do a ACV rinse on locs? Or have you already tried it on your own? Either way, deep cleaning is a great method to keep your locs happy and healthy from the inside. Which essentially means you will be just as happy and healthy!